To start you will need to render the “infused” coconut oil, To make cannabis-infused coconut oil, you’ll need the following ingredients and equipment:
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup ground cannabis (decarboxylated)
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil or parchment paper
- Medium-sized saucepan
- Cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer
- Container for storing the infused oil
Here’s a step-by-step guide to making cannabis-infused coconut oil:
- Preheat your oven to 240°F (115°C).
- Spread the ground cannabis evenly on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Decarboxylate the cannabis by placing the baking sheet in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes. This process activates the cannabinoids in the cannabis, making them more bioavailable.
- In a saucepan, melt the coconut oil over low heat until it becomes a liquid.
- Add the decarboxylated cannabis to the melted coconut oil, stirring well to ensure all the cannabis is fully coated.
- Simmer the mixture on low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Be cautious not to let it come to a boil.
- After simmering, remove the saucepan from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Set up your straining method: If using a cheesecloth, secure it over a heatproof container and strain the mixture through it, squeezing out as much oil as possible. If using a fine mesh strainer, place it over a heatproof container and pour the mixture through, pressing it with a spoon to extract the oil.
- Allow the infused oil to cool completely, and then transfer it to an airtight container for storage.
- Store the cannabis-infused coconut oil in a cool, dark place or in the refrigerator. It should remain usable for several weeks.
Remember to label your infused oil clearly and keep it out of the reach of children and pets. Start with a low dosage when using it in recipes, as the potency can vary depending on factors like the strain of cannabis and personal tolerance.
Here’s a basic recipe for turning this oil into marijuana-infused gummies:
- 1/2 cup cannabis-infused coconut oil (prepared in advance)
- 1/2 cup fruit juice (e.g., orange, grape, or any flavor of your choice)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup gelatin powder
- Sweetener (optional, to taste)
- Gummy molds
- In a saucepan, combine the fruit juice and water. Heat the mixture over low heat, ensuring it doesn’t come to a boil.
- Gradually sprinkle the gelatin powder into the saucepan, stirring continuously to dissolve it completely.
- Add the cannabis-infused coconut oil or cannabutter to the saucepan, stirring until it is well incorporated.
- If desired, add a sweetener of your choice to the mixture, ensuring it is thoroughly mixed.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Pour the mixture into gummy molds. Silicone molds work best for easy removal.
- Place the molds in the refrigerator and allow them to set for at least 1-2 hours, or until firm.
- Once the gummies are firm, remove them from the molds and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Remember again, to label and store these edibles securely, keeping them out of the reach of children and pets. Start with a low dosage and wait for the effects before consuming more, as the potency of homemade edibles can vary.